2020 Parents’ Guide to Google Classroom
We hope you are all well and getting back into some form of “routine” now that the holidays are finished. We just wanted to let you know of some changes we are making in regards to our home learning. Until now, weekly grids have been sent out with activities for the week. From Monday, each child will be assigned to a google classroom and work will be displayed in the classroom on a daily basis. Each day, pupils at P1-4 will have a literacy task, a numeracy task and a health and wellbeing task. Each task should take no longer than 20 minutes to complete. There will also be other curricular areas assigned. P5-7 will have a daily reading, writing and numeracy task and these should take no longer than 30 minutes each to complete. There will also be work for other curricular areas. P1-3 pupils are not expected to complete work on google classroom but just to refer to this daily for your assigned work. For pupils in P4-7, your daily work will be put on the classroom stream each day. Every week, your teacher will set two assignments which are to be completed on the classroom and returned for marking. These will be marked and returned to you within the week. Any questions about work can be asked by pupils or parents through the classroom or by email. Only work set out this way and indicated by your teacher should be completed on the classroom. All other tasks should continue as previously. If you have any trouble submitting work, please contact the class teacher.
Please see attached instructions for parents on the use of google classroom. Pupils in the upper primary classes should already be familiar with this and it can be accessed from any internet device. Class teachers will be in touch with login details by the end of the week and we would appreciate you checking these and letting us know of any issues. Please note that the email addresses and google facilities provided are strictly for educational purposes and should not be used to contact anyone other than members of staff. Any violation of this will be dealt with immediately.
We are also trialling a new method of registration and on Tuesday this week, each pupil will be asked to complete a google form assigned by the class teacher. This is just a trial and if successful, will be our means of gathering attendance in future. Until otherwise notified, please continue to register daily by email.
We completely understand and appreciate that this is all very new and will take time to get used to. Please let us know if we can support further.
Also, please continue to email photos to class teachers showing us what you have been up to. It’s always great to hear from you!
We hope that you all enjoyed a relaxing Easter break amidst the uncertain situation we are all finding ourselves in. It is very strange to have a start of term without seeing you all! We hope you are all keeping healthy and active!
You will have received your weekly learning grid from class teachers today. Please remember that it is essential that pupils are checked in by email each morning by 10am. If your child is unwell, it is also important that we know that. There are several Council led discussions taking place this week that may result in changes to the way we are currently issuing work. We will send an update by the end of the week to inform you of any developments.
Just a reminder that as a whole school we have been working on our Decider Skills to support emotional wellbeing. I have attached the overview of this. Each week will focus on a different skill, all of which have already been introduced in school.
As always, please get in touch to let us know if we can support you in any way at all! Please know that we are missing you all very much and thinking of you often.
The Decider Skills-Parent Information sheet
A reminder to parents that daily registration is required. Please ensure that you have contacted your child’s class Teacher via their email address by 10am each morning to them know your child is present. This information is required by the authority and we thank you for your cooperation with this
Please see the latest update from the Highland Council attached. There is a lot of very important information included so please do take time to read through this carefully.
As was intimated yesterday, you will receive your first home learning grid from class teachers on Tuesday. In addition to this, all pupils are asked to register with the school each day so that we can ensure the health and wellbeing of all young people. We are asking all parents to email class teachers each day by 10am just with a simple message to say (pupil name) is present/absent from learning today. This is just required on school days and will not include the Easter break. Our system for this may change in future but for now, we ask for your cooperation in this. Please keep in mind that some classes are job share situations with different teachers teaching on different days. Please refer to the attachment sent out yesterday indicating working days and email addresses for class teachers.
As always, please feel free to contact the school with any questions you may have.
email@example.com or directly email your child’s Teacher
20.03.20 Ltr to Schools – Coronavirus
We are expecting further updates from the Highland Council today so this information may change but at the moment, I would just like to remind you of our school arrangements for the coming week;
· Tomorrow morning, you will receive an email from class teachers with a grid of suggested weekly learning activities. Can I just remind you that we are not expecting you to be teaching your children. The activities provided should consolidate and support prior learning. When we return to school, pupils will all be as-assessed and learning will start from where we left off. Teachers will assume that pupils have been successful in their weekly tasks unless they have heard otherwise. Please get in touch with any questions or queries.
· All pupils are expected to register with their class teacher each school day, starting from tomorrow. Parents are asked to do this by email directly to the class teacher simply to say Name……….is present today. If this could please be done by 10am each day. This process is likely to change but we thank you for your cooperation in this while we await further guidance.
· As from today the school is closed for pupils, this includes the school building and the playground.
· School meals for P1-3 and entitled pupils are being distributed from Portree High School from 11am until 2pm each day this week. We realise this is not ideal and the council are looking at more effective means of delivery after the Easter holidays. We will keep you informed of updates.
· Attached again is a list of the home learning arrangements and email addresses for class teachers. Where classes are taught by more than one member of staff this is indicated on the information above.
· School staff should only be contacted by email during school hours. Please do not use social media platforms or personal email addresses for contacting school staff.
Thank you again for your continued understanding. Please let us know of any support we can help with.
Arrangements for home learning
Portree Primary School home learning scheduleS
School Closure Letter
Dear P6/P7 Parents and Carers,
Each week P6 and P7 will be assigned a piece of writing via google classroom. Please see the document following. 2020 Parents’ Guide to Google Classroom